Many women can’t afford to be brand loyal to high-end brands like Bobbi Brown and MAC and often choose to purchase one or two of these items (like an eyeliner or lipstick) as a ‘treat’ or ‘splurge’ item.
Using only high-end brand name products on an everyday basis can become horribly expensive and this is where I got the idea for Favourite Finds, which I ran on my Facebook page during the month of September 2014. Thirty of my favourite (and a few of my least favourite) drugstore make-up and cosmetic finds from 2014, with one or two high-end exceptions.
1. Favourite cleansers: African Extracts Rooibos Deep Cleansing Facial Wash and Swisspers Naturals Aloe Skin Perfecting Cleanser.
2. Least favourite cleanser: Dr Wendy’s 100% Botanical Skin Care Gentle Cleanser. The pump action dispenser didn’t work properly and the cleanser didn’t leave my skin feeling clean.
3. Favourite facial exfoliator: St Ives Ageless Skin Apricot Scrub
4. Favourite pore strips: Biore Ultra Deep Cleansing Pore Strips
5. Favourite toner: African Extracts Rooibos Refreshing Toner
6. Favourite serum: L’Oreal Luminosity Youth Code Serum
7. Favourite eye cream: Swisspers Naturals Aloe Soothing Eye Cream
8. Favourite moisturisers: African Extracts Rooibos Day Cream and Swisspers Naturals Aloe Daily Moisturiser
10. Favourite eyeshadow primer: NYX HD Eye Shadow Base
11. Favourite concealer: Rimmel Hide the Blemish
12. Favourite BB cream: Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Daily All-in-One BB Cream
13. Favourite foundation: Revlon Colorstay (I use #004 in Natural Beige)
14. Least favourite foundation: Any mousse formula. I find that even with daily use, it tends to dry out in the pot (no matter how well the lid is replaced) and this causes the consistency to change, making it really difficult to apply.
15. Favourite everyday eyeshadows: Revlon Colorstay
16. Least favourite eyeshadow: Jemma Kidd Firming i-Creme
17. Favourite pencil eyeliners: Michellori Long Stay and Rimmel Long-wear
18. Favourite gel eyeliners: Bobbi Brown Long-wear and Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Eyeliner. The Bobbi Brown gels are quite expensive, but come in a wider variety of colours. Maybelline’s Eye Studio gels wear just as well and are much more affordable, but there is a limited colour selection.
19. Favourite everyday mascara: Maybelline Great Lash “Lots of Lashes” in Blackest Black
20. Favourite water-resistant mascara: Blinc Tubing Mascara
21. Favourite blush: Model Co. Cheek & Lip Tint
22. Favourite lip liner: Rimmel 1000 Kisses Lasting Finish
23. Favourite long-wear lipstick: NYC UltraLast LipWear
24. Favourite nude lipsticks: Yardley Longwear in “Nude” and Revlon Colorburst in “Rosy Nude”
25. Favourite pink lipsticks: NYC UltraLast Lipwear in “English Rose” and Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in “Lovesick Passionnee”
26. Favourite lip gloss: NYC Kiss Gloss and Woolworths Tinted Gloss
27. Favourite lip balm: Blistex Moisture Max
28. Favourite make-up remover: The Oil Cleansing Method