Self-tanning products are a safe and effective way of getting a lovely, golden tan all year round, without the harmful and skin damaging effects of lying in the sun.
Over the years, I have tried many different self-tanning formulas and my personal favourite is a mousse. I find that creams can streak and sprays can come out patchy and tend to go everywhere! I also find it difficult to see where I’ve applied a cream or a spray. Mousses tend to be quite darkly coloured, making it easy to see exactly where it has already been applied. They tend to be quick-drying and I’ve never had a problem with streaking or patchiness.
Here I compare three of my favourite self-tanning mousses:
|INNOXA||SUGAR BABY||ST MORIZ|
|Packaging||Cream & Brown aluminium can||Cute, girly box with brown plastic bottle inside||White plastic bottle|
|Smell upon application||Slight self-tan scent||Coconut||Carrot-like|
|Colour of mousse||Light cocoa||Rich cocoa||Dark cocoa|
|After application||Washes off hands easily with soap||Washes off hands easily with soap||Need to scrub hands lightly with nail brush and soap|
|Developed tan colour||Light golden tan||Light golden tan||Rich golden tan|
|Additional colour info||May need to re-apply for a deeper tan||May need to re-apply for a deeper tan||One application is sufficient|
1. Exfoliate before applying self-tan, using an oil-free body exfoliator or an exfoliating glove. If you have very dry skin, apply a little moisturiser to knees, feet, ankles and elbows to avoid excess absorption of colour in these areas.
2. Avoid moisturising your whole leg or body before applying self-tan, as this will prevent the colour from taking as well as it should.
3. Start applying the self-tan at your feet or ankles and work your way upwards, using firm even strokes.
4. Do not shower, bathe, swim or apply moisturiser for 6-8 hours after application.
5. Exfoliate every 3 days and lightly reapply mousse to maintain your gorgeous tan.